Thursday, 13 June 2013

#Juneathon - Days 11, 12 & 13 - Hospital, hospital, hospital.

OK bit of a catch up post and admission that I have been slacking a bit for the last 2 days but made up for it today!

Had plenty of trips to hospital so far this week and still have one more to go, so had plenty of wandering around the hospital grounds but nothing too strenuous.  I'm well underway now with my psoriasis treatment, I've had 2 appointments so far this week for the light treatment and also 2 appointments for the short contact dithranol.  I'm slowly getting a tan and have a healthy glow about me ( but is that down to all my walking?) however my skin is looking pretty red and is itching like crazy, I could quite easily take a scouring pad to my body just for some satisfaction! I have one more visit tomorrow for the light treatment this week and then the weekend off.

Today I've been in for my endoscopy to try and sort my insides out. I can't believe it's been 3 years and 3 months since my pancreatic attack and I'm still not 100%. So I was summoned to the hospital for 8am, great, I don't normally surface out of bed till 9am! but I went and was called in to go through the checks and questionnaire before the procedure, "so why are you here?" asked the nurse, "do you want it in layman's terms or shall I dress it up for you? - I sh*t myself" I replied, hmm might have to reword that on the form. Then came my favourite part - trying to put a cannula in so they could administer some sedation. After trying to find 4 different veins and failing, another nurse was called in. By this time I'd decided against being pricked and poked anymore so opted to just have the throat spray and go for it.

The throat spray had a very weird taste to it, it reminded me of a minty banana milkshake, as soon as I'd swallowed it I was put in position, spectacles removed and we were off. I wouldn't say it was unpleasant just  hard work trying not to retch when it's the body's involuntary reaction to something being shoved down the throat. Other than gagging and drooling and managing to get spit in my eye thanks to how I was lying on the bed, the procedure went fine. A few biopsies were took so now I just have to sit and wait for the results.

As I wasn't sedated I was able to leave as soon as my mum came to get me. I decided to take the opportunity of her baby sitting Squiggle to go out and get some fresh air, so I went on a 3 mile walk, with an 890 foot climb up to the highest point in town. Did the whole round trip in just over an hour without managing to give myself a coronary!

View from the top of the hill, 
can just make out the reservoir in the middle of the picture

So I think I deserve my spot on the settee in front of the telly tonight, might even treat myself to a biscuit!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a day, I applaud your determination to get out and walk after all that. Hope you feel more comfortable very soon.